Chapter: Vegetable Recipes: Greens
Recipe: Bengali Spinach
2/3 cup raw almonds
2 cups warm water
3 tablespoons ghee or coconut oil
1 tablespoon black mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1/2 tablespoon grated ginger
1 tablespoon minced green chilies (optional)
2 lbs trimmed fresh spinach
1/3 cup shredded coconut
1 tablespoon salt [way too much!]
2 tablespoons water
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1. Soak nuts in warm water for 4 hours or overnight.
2. Drain, wash and drain again.
3. Heat ghee in a large pot over moderate heat.
4. When hot, but not smoking, add the spice seeds.
5. Fry until the seeds darken.
6. Add the ginger, chiles, spinach, nuts, coconut and salt.
7. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes.
8. Uncover, gently turn the spinach over. Add water if necessary.
9. Cook for a further 10 minutes. Stir in the nutmeg and heat through for
1 to 2 minutes.
10. Garnish with lemon and serve.
Adapted from: Food.com