Chapter: Condiment Recipes: Relishes, Salsas, Chutneys, and Fruit Butters
Section: Chutneys: Cooked
Recipe: Tasty Mango Chutney
Tasty Mango Chutney
3 tsp oil
6 to 8 red chillies
1/2 tsp fenugreek (methi) seeds
a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
1 big raw mango, grated
1/2 coconut, grated
honey to taste
salt to taste
1/2 tsp mustard seeds for tempering
1. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a broad pan, add the red chillies, fenugreek seeds
and asafoetida and saute on a medium flame till you get a good aroma.
2. Add the mango, coconut, honey and salt, mix well and saute on a medium
flame till the mixture becomes pulpy.
3. Cool and blend in a mixer using no or very little water till smooth.
4. Tranfer it to a bowl and keep aside.
For the tempering:
1. Heat the remaining 2 tsp of oil in a small pan, add the mustard seeds
and saute till they begin to crackle.
2. Add this tempering to the chutney and serve.
This recipe was contributed by geetharam32 on 22 Mar 2011
Adapted from Tarla Dalal: India's #1 Food Site
Keattikorn / FreeDigitalPhotos.net 10046605