Chapter: Vegetable Recipes
Recipe: Bharvaan Baingan
6 baby eggplants washed, stalk trimmed and partially slit into quarters
2 tsps coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder (optional)
3 tbsps grated dessicated coconut
1 tsp very finely chopped garlic
Small marble-sized lump of tamarind soaked in a small bowl of warm water
3/4 tsp black mustard seeds
6-8 curry leaves
2 dry red chillies (optional)
Salt to taste
3-4 tbsps coconut oil
Chopped fresh coriander to garnish
1. Put the coriander, cumin, turmeric, red chilli powders, coconut and
chopped garlic in a bowl and mix.
2. Squeeze the tamarind that has been soaked in the warm water so as to
remove all the pulp from it and into the water. Strain and throw away
3. Add this tamarind pulp to the spice mix a little at a time to get a
thick paste. Add salt to taste and mix well.
4. Fill the slits in the eggplants with this spice paste. Keep aside.
5. Heat the oil in a pan (on a medium flame) till hot. Now add the mustard
seeds, dry red chillies and curry leaves and cook till spluttering
stops. Now add the eggplants and gently stir.
6. Cook till the eggplants are done. Stir occasionally but do it gently so
as to avoid knocking the filling out of the eggplants.
7. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander
From: About.com: Indian Food
patpitchaya / FreeDigitalPhotos.net 10055715