Creamed Mustard Greens With Spinach
1 (29 ounce) can mustard greens, drained
1 (15 ounce) can spinach, drained
1 medium onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped (or canned pumpkin/butternut)
1 jalapeno, chopped (optional)
1 tablespoon garlic paste (or fresh chopped garlic)
1 tablespoon ginger paste (or fresh chopped ginger)
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder (optional)
1 teaspoon chili powder (or to taste) (optional)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup coconut milk (add to taste and consistency) salt and pepper
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
2 tablespoons oil
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons oil
1 piece fresh ginger, chopped
1. Heat up oil in pot and add onions. Fry till softened and translucent.
2. Add the jalapano, ginger and garlic paste, cumin powder, coriander
powder, turmeric powder and chili powder.
3. Add the water and fry for 2-3 minutes. Stir well.
4. Add the tomato and cook till softened, about a minute.
5. Add the mustard greens, spinach, garam masala, tomato paste, salt and
6. Cook covered about 15 minutes on medium high heat till all the veggies
release all their water.
7. Uncover and dry of any liquid on high heat for about 5-8 minutes. The
dryer the better. When done, turn off stove.
8. In portions, blend the mixture till smooth. Add some of the coconut milk
if needed to blend. Transfer back to pot.
9. Mix in the coconut milk.
10. Topping:. In a small fry pan, heat up the oil and add the chopped
ginger. Fry the ginger till golden brown.
11. Pour on top of the mustard spinach. Be careful it will sizzle and might
12. Serve hot with some fresh lime squeezed on top.
Barbara Reddoch / 123RF Stock Photo 9585641