Chapter: Vegetable Recipes
Recipe: Nigerian Fried Yam
Nigerian Fried Yam
It is fried in such a way that the outside of the chips is crunchy while
the inside is moist. It is mostly used as a breakfast meal with fried egg,
egg omelette, tomato stew, or vegetable sauce.
White Yam - As much as you can eat.
Salt to taste
1. Peel and cut the yam tuber into 1 inch cylindrical discs. Make several
cuts across the discs to get large chips. Wash the yam chips and place in a
2. Add a little salt and toss the contents to distribute the salt.
3. If you are using a deep fryer, pour enough vegetable oil into the fryer
as per the instructions manual and preheat the oil to 170°C [340F]. You can
also use a pot to fry the yam chips. It is preferable to use a pot rather
than a frying pan for this fried yam recipe because pots provide more depth
for the frying process.
4. When the oil is heated, add a few yam chips, leaving enough room for
flipping the chips.
5. Stir the chips till they have turned golden.
6. Remove the chips and place in paper towels to absorb the oil.
7. Fry the rest of the chips following steps 4 through 6.
Serve with fried egg, egg omelette, tomato stew or vegetable sauce.
From: AllNigerianRecipes.com: Your Free Guide to Cooking Nigerian Food
All Nigerian Recipes